Learn about pet animals through these FREE PET ANIMALS FLASHCARDS from The Teaching Aunt.
Animals theme is part of any preschool curriculum. This theme is actually broad and universal that it is divided into categories:
- pet animals
- farm animals
- wild animals
- sea animals
Each of these categories is important and exciting to learn. Thus, schools usually allow 1 to 2 weeks per animal group.
There are also situations wherein it takes longer, depending on the student’s interest and the lesson goals.
Now let’s dive into the first category in our animal theme series- pet animals.
I already know which of my students have pets by the first few weeks of school.
It’s through these telltale signs:
- talking about pets non-stop
- showing pictures of their pets to classmates and teachers every chance they get
- drawing pets as part of their family portrait
- bringing their pets to school
These children make the class extra exciting when we discuss pet animals because they have so much information to share. Plus, they have cute pets to bring during Show and Tell!
If you need more tips on how to teach this topic, read my helpful list below.
How To Teach About Pet Animals to Preschool Students
- Open the theme by asking the class if they have pets. Ask a lot of questions to get more information from the students.
- Display pictures of pet animals in the classroom. Or ask the children to bring photos of their pets and display them in class.
- Compare pet animals’ features: size, color, the skin covering, food, habitats, tricks, etc.
- Watch videos.
- Read storybooks like Clifford The Red Dog and Tails Are Not for Pulling by Elizabeth Verdick.
- Ask the students to bring their pets for Show and Tell.
- Invite a veterinarian to talk about how to take care of pets.
- Throw a pet party! Everyone gets to bring their pets to school then the students can showcase their pet’s tricks to their friends.
- Work on fun and cute pet-themed worksheets.
- Visit a pet shop.
- Have a class pet. Assign a student to bring home the class pet during weekends.
- Adopt a pet.
I hope these tips help you have an enjoyable pet-themed lesson.
Before you go, you might want to download our free pet animals flashcards. These pet animals-themed flashcards are the perfect complement to your lesson.
These pet animal flashcards PDFs can be used as instructional materials and classroom decors. And they’re available in A4 and 8.5″ x 11″ sizes.
These Might Interest You:
More Free Flashcards
More Free Worksheets
Or just visit my Free Printable Page for more!
Do you want PREMIUM FREEBIES? Please subscribe to my blog. I promise it will be worth it!