Develop your child’s phonemic awareness skills through these BEGINNING LETTER SOUNDS WORKSHEETS FOR PRESCHOOL PDF from the Teaching Aunt.
What is phonemic awareness?
Phonemic awareness is the ability to identify and manipulate individual sounds (phonemes) in spoken words- according to readingrockets.org.
Why is it important to teach phonemic awareness?
The ability to isolate and manipulate letter sounds is a good indicator of reading readiness and success in it later on.
That is why giving children opportunities to practice these pre-reading skills is imperative.
How to develop phonemic awareness skills?
- Read books with repetitions like Dr. Seuss and Mother Goose books
- Listen to nursery rhymes
- Play rhyming games
- Practice isolating sounds either the beginning or ending sound of a word
- Work on letter sound activities
In this post, I’ll be including worksheets that you and your child can practice isolating letter sounds.
Since these worksheets have written letters on it, these are technically considered phonics worksheets.
However, you can turn these into purely phonemic awareness exercise by having your child answer it by just listening to you as you go over the items on each page.
How to use the Beginning Letter Sounds Worksheets for Preschool PDF?
As phonics worksheets
- Point to the letter on the left. Ask your child to identify the letter and its sound.
- Next, identify the pictures on the right.
- Instruct your child to find and color the picture that matches the sound of the letter on the left.
- Repeat until all the items are done.
As phonemic awareness exercise
- Tell your child that you’ll be playing a sound matching game.
- First, give a target letter sound. Repeat the sound with your child.
- Then, instruct him to listen to the beginning sound of each word that you are going to say.
- Guide him as needed so he can match the target sound with the correct word.
- Repeat until all items are done.
I hope you find the instructions helpful. Choose which one better suit your child’s needs.
If you choose to use these as phonics worksheets, just click on the link below to download your free printables.
These Might Interest You:
CVC Words Worksheets
Or just visit my Free Printable Page for more!
Do you want PREMIUM FREEBIES? Please subscribe to my blog. I promise it will be worth it!