Help your child learn about the letters through these Alphabet Flashcards with Pictures of Concrete Objects from The Teaching Aunt.
When teaching children something new, it is always advisable to begin with something concrete.
Concrete objects or experiences are things that can be perceived by the senses. It means something that children can see, smell, hear, taste and manipulate.
And if you can make use of all the senses, the better!
Concrete objects can help young children develop better connections with what they already know or have experience of and the new concept that you’ll be introducing.
In this post, I want to share with you alphabet flashcards sets with pictures of concrete objects.
Since I can’t send you the actual objects (because the internet isn’t that advance yet 😛 ), I will share with you the next best thing- flashcards with concrete pictures. 😀
These flashcard sets are great for introducing letters and sounds.
I recommend the following tips to help you maximize the use of these flashcards:
- Print the flashcards on letter-sized paper (board paper is better, or you may also laminate), post them on the wall at children’s eye level.
- Point to the uppercase and lowercase letters and say their names.
- Point to the picture of the concrete object and say its name. Emphasize on the beginning sound.
- Example: This is an apple. /a/ /a/ apple!
- Show your child the actual object as you teach him/her (only if possible). If you can’t bring an elephant to your house for your child to touch, no one will judge you. 😛
- Assign a “Letter of the Day”. This way you don’t overwhelm your child with all the 26 letters.
As a preschool teacher, I would say that letter instruction need not be limited to flashcards and table activities.
The following are fun complement to your letter instruction:
- Matching letters
- Matching letters and pictures with same beginning sound
- Touch the Letter (like Touch the Color game)
- Field Trips
The more you expose your child, the easier for him/her to make the connection between his/her experiences and what you are teaching. And this actually holds true for all the other areas of learning.
Here are the three sets of alphabet flashcards with pictures of concrete objects. The sets come in different style. Choose the set that best complements the activities that you have in mind for your child. Or just download all! 😀
Alphabet Lesson Video
To further help your child learn about the alphabet, you might want to check out this educational video. This alphabet video is all about letters Ff to Jj. And it comes with a quiz at the end to check your child’s comprehension and knowledge of the featured letters.
This video covers the following learning objectives:
- recognize the alphabet
- identify uppercase and lowercase letters
- name objects that begin with a specific letter
- identify beginning letter
Alphabet Flashcards with Pictures of Concrete Objects
These Might Interest You:
Alphabet Tracing Worksheets
Numbers Tracing Worksheets
Flashcards and Wall Cards Free Printables
Or just visit my Free Printable Page for more!
Do you want PREMIUM FREEBIES? Please subscribe to my blog. I promise it will be worth it!